(Half and halftear-and-share roosterkoek)
Prep time: 30minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
For the roosterkoek:
- 1 kg cake wheat flour
- 2 t salt
- 2 T sugar
- 10 ml instant dry yeast
- 2 T cooking oil
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 T Nando’s XX Hot PERi-PERi Sauce
- Flour for dusting
For the coating:
- 200 g butter, melted
- 2 T (30ml) Nando’s PERi-PERi Creamy Garlic Sauce
- 1 t Nando’s XHot PERi-PERi Sauce
- 2 T apricot jam
- Make a fire and burn out to form coals.
- While the fire is burning, sift flour and salt together. Add sugar and yeast.
- Add oil and water and mix to a soft, sticky dough. Add more water, if necessary
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for five to ten minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Knock down dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into six equal balls.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the grated cheese and Nando’s XX Hot PERi-PERi sauce.
- Press each dough ball flat and divide the cheese mix, by placing it in the center of each dough ball.
- Take the ends of each dough ball and enclose the cheese inside of the dough, making sure none of the cheese is peeking out.
- On a well-floured tray pack the dough balls tightly against each other to form a cluster and dust well with flour on top, place a tea towel over the bread and allow to prove for 30 minutes in a warm area.
- Start cooking the roosterkoek on top of a grid over medium hot coals.
- Mix half the butter, Nando’s PERi-PERi Creamy Garlic Sauce and Nando’s XHot PERi-PERi Sauce. Mix the other half of the butter with apricot jam. Melt both butter mixes in small pots over the fire.
- Turn the roosterkoek regularly to ensure that it doesn’t burn, braai until cooked and sounds hollow when you tap on the bread.
- Remove from the grid and transfer to a platter, brush each half of the bread thoroughly with each of the butter mixtures, and pull apart to enjoy.
TIP: Use store-bought dough if you don’t feel like making your own dough and mix in two tablespoons of Nando’s XHot PERi-PERi Sauce.