(Oxtail and cowpea stew with dumplings)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
Serves: 4 – 6
For the stew:
- 1 kg oxtail
- 2 T oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1 t minced ginger
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 2 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 cup Nando’s XHot PERi-PERi Sauce
- 1 T sugar
- 1 cup cowpeas, soaked overnight
For the dumplings:
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 T parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup PERinaise Hot Creamy Dressing
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pot. Brown the oxtail in batches, removing from pot and setting aside as each batch is browned.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. (This can also be cooked, covered, on the stove top at a simmer.)
- Add one tablespoon of oil to the pot, then add the onion and fry gently for two minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and the chillies.
- Return the oxtail to the pot. Add the stock, sugar, cowpeas and Nando’s XHot PERi-PERi Sauce.
- Cook for about three hours until tender.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- 30 minutes before the stew is ready, scoop dollops of the dough on top of the stew and steam for 30 minutes.
Serve stew and dumplings with some veggies on the side.