(Sorghum pancakes, xigugu greens and crispy fried eggs)
Prep time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 min
For the pancakes:
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour OR Maltabella
- ½ t salt
- 1 T sugar
- ¾ t baking powder
- 200 ml Nando’s Garlic PERinaise Creamy Dressing
- 200 ml milk
- Oil or butter to fry
For the greens:
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 – 3 cups leafy greens of your choice, roughly chopped (for example spinach, kale, swiss chard)
- 2 T xigugu
- 50 ml Nando’s Lemon and Herb PERi-PERI Sauce
- 3 T water (to loosen mixture)
- Salt to taste
For the egg:
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, sieve together cake flour, sorghum flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together Nando’s Garlic PERinaise Creamy Dressing and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in stages, folding together to create a smooth batter, while taking care not to over mix.
- Heat oil or butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the pancake batter in your preferred amount for the desired sized pancake.
- Cook until the top of the batter begins to bubble, this indicates it's ready to be flipped.
- Remove from the pan, and fry remaining batter.
- This recipe should make 16 medium-sized pancakes.
- In a bowl, add onions and greens.
- Combine the xigugu, Nando’s Lemon and Herb PERi-PERI Sauce and water in a blender and blitz until smooth. Add a touch more water if the mixture is too thick.
- Dress the salad with the xigugu dressing.
- Season to taste.
- In a medium-sized pan heat two tablespoons of neutral oil over a medium high heat.
- Once oil is hot and not above smoke point, carefully add eggs away from you and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the whites begin to set, carefully tilt the pan slightly towards yourself and allow the oil to create a pool of oil against the side of the pan. Using a large spoon, baste the eggs with the hot oil aiming at the uncooked parts of the whites and avoiding the yolk.
- Continue basting for one minute or until the egg whites are puffy and the edges are brown and crispy
Assemble your pancakes and enjoy!