In case you haven’t noticed, we at Studio H are somewhat obsessed with potatoes. We love everything potato – from our very own custom-designed potato print font to potato pocket packaging design and summer potato salads. In our final newsletter for 2022, the Studio H team shared our favourite potato salad recipes. Try them, they’re super easy to make and taste pretty good too!
HANNERIE’S GRAN’S CONDENSED MILK MAYO POTATO SALAD
- ½ packet bacon rashers
- 12 potatoes
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup Nola mayonnaise
- 1 T milk
- 1/3 tin condensed milk
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C.
- Place the bacon rashers onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until golden and very crispy.
- Boil the potatoes until soft, and strain.
- Peel the potatoes while warm and cut into cubes.
- Mix the salt, onion, mayonnaise, milk and condensed milk together in a cup and add to a mixing bowl with the warm potatoes, and mix together.
- Crumble the bacon over the top.
- Serve cold.
JC'S NEW POTATO SALAD WITH AÏOLI
Inspired by the recipes of Yotam Ottolenghi
For the potatoes:
- 1 kg baby potatoes
- 80 g salted butter
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 t yellow mustard seeds, lightly crushed
- 2 t coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 200 g radishes, thinly sliced
- A bunch of dill, roughly torn
For the aïoli:
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, plus 1 yolk
- 100 ml olive oil
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 2 t lemon juice
- 4 T Greek-style yoghurt
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of salted boiling water for 15 – 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Cook the butter and onion in a large frying pan for 5 minutes or until turning translucent. Add the garlic and fry for another 5 minutes. Add the mustard seeds and coriander seeds, and fry until starting to smell fragrant. Add the Dijon mustard and juice of one lemon and mix. Transfer to a bowl.
- Transfer the cooled potatoes onto a clean work surface and use the flat side of a knife to lightly squash each one. Fry the potatoes in a little bit of oil in the oven at 180 °C for 20 – 25 minutes or until starting to crisp up. Turn off the oven and leave the potatoes inside until completely cooled.
- In the meanwhile, make the aïoli by adding the garlic, one teaspoon of mustard, egg, yolk and ¼ teaspoon of salt into the small bowl of a food processor and blitzing until combined, about 10 seconds. With the machine still running, add both oils in a very slow and steady stream, until you have a loose, mayonnaise-like consistency. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the lemon juice, yoghurt and other teaspoon of mustard, and refrigerate until needed.
- Put the crispy smashed potatoes into a bowl and mix in the onion mixture.
- Spread the aïoli across a platter and pile the potatoes on top, followed by the finely sliced radishes. Finish with a grind of black pepper and lots of fresh dill.
JUWAN'S TANGY POTATO SALAD
- 700 g potatoes
- 500 ml tangy mayonnaise
- 4 dill gherkins, chopped roughly
- 6 white cocktail onions, quartered
- 1 t Aromat
- Boil the potatoes whole with the skin on until soft, in salted water.
- Strain, then peel the potatoes while warm and cut into big cubes.
- Add the potato, while still warm, mayonnaise, gherkins, cocktail onions and Aromat into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix everything together, and allow some time in the fridge to infuse and develop the flavours.
- Serve cold.
ROWAN'S FAMILY POTATO SALAD
- 16 medium-sized potatoes
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, grated
- 2 T white sugar
- 2 t salt
- 2 T milk (optional)
- ¼ cup onion, finely grated
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water, bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and set aside to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooling, add mayonnaise, milk and sugar to a bowl and mix through.
- Transfer cooled potatoes to a separate bowl, add grated eggs, onion and mayonnaise mixture.
- Stir ingredients until potatoes are evenly coated.
- Chill before serving, for about 2 – 4 hours.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.